The abandoned, yet fully intact Rock Island Railroad trestle over Bayou Boeuf south of Lecompte, Louisiana. For many years I have had a fascination with the now defuncted Rock Island Railroad. As a youngster my family used to take a yearly pilgrimage to Texas to visit family for the holidays. Traveling across eastern New Mexico into the panhandle of Texas my eyes would survey a set of lonely single railroad tracks. For years I searched those tracks for a train to no avail. That was until the fall of 1978 when I spotted a small mixed train lead by a couple of high nosed Geeps. The train consisted of a couple of cabooses, a flat car, tank car and two boxcars. We had just crossed over the Texas line and I was excited to see just what railroad had owned this rarely used set of tracks. As we got closer the name on the locomotives came into view, "Rock Island". Rock Island? I thought, at the time that it was some eastern railroad. Later on I would learn that The Rock was a ra...
Comments
Post a Comment