A few weeks ago I began creating yet another mega playlist that I entitled VCCS which stands for Vinyl - Cassette - CD - Streaming. It's a list that reflects my own personal experience with rock music. The list should probably have began with an "R" for radio, but I decided to go with the music that I actually owned on vinyl records. The progression of course then went to cassette tapes (because you couldn't play an LP in a Walkman) then CDs and now via streaming services like iHeart and Spotify.
So far I have gotten up to 1983, so if you are a fan of late 70s and early 80s rock you will love this!
A four-time Grammy winner, Benatar is a classically trained mezzo-soprano. During the 1980s, Benata rhad two RIAA-certified Multi-Platinum albums, five RIAA-certified Platinum albums, three RIAA-certified Gold albums and 19 Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits, "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", "Love Is a Battlefield", "We Belong" and "Invincible". - READ MORE
Fleetwood Mac is a British-American rock band, formed in London in 1967. Fleetwood Mac was founded by guitarist Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood and guitarist Jeremy Spencer, before bassist John McVie joined the lineup for their self-titled debut album. Danny Kirwan joined as a third guitarist in 1968. - READ MORE
Depeche Mode are an English electronic music band formed in Basildon in 1980. The group consists of a trio of Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher. Depeche Mode released their debut album, Speak & Spell, in 1981, bringing the band onto the British new wave scene. - READ MORE
About ten minutes east of the city of Lake Charles are the remains of an abandoned water park . The decaying structures are clearly visible from the busy I-10 freeway and for years drivers have wondered about it's history and why it was left for dead. The Pirate's Cove Water Park actually has a rather interesting story behind it. A story that has been repeated over and over again, unfortunately, here in Louisiana. It's just another example of how government bureaucracy in this state killed an enterprise before it could ever get off the ground. Construction on the park began in 2008 and it was scheduled to open sometime in 2010. The sprawling complex was envisioned as an oasis from the hot summer heat that would feature luxurious amenities like a 900 foot long lazy river, a giant splash pad for the kids and eventually a five star hotel. The Pirate's Cove would have been an obvious tourist destination that could have brought much needed tax dollars and employment oppo...
I have to admit that I have been hanging on to these photos for a couple of months now just looking for the right minute to post them. Back in November I was traveling up to El Dorado, Arkansas and I passed through the small town of Dodson. While driving through town my eyes spotted a very attractive old house up on a hill and I just had to stop and take a few photos of it. I honestly don't know the history of this house, but I'm sure some local will send me message telling me all about it (and someone did see the UPDATE ), and it's not as cool as an abandoned railroad locomotive or old movie house but it really spoke to me. I have to wonder about the people who used to live in it and how it ended up in the state it is now. Anyone can see that it was a beautiful house long ago. What happened? How did such a grand residence end up like this? Those are questions that I can't answer unfortunately. Unfortunately a site like this isn't all that uncommon here in Louisian...
The abandoned, yet fully intact Rock Island Railroad trestle over Bayou Boeuf south of Lecompte, Louisiana. For many years I have had a fascination with the now defuncted Rock Island Railroad. As a youngster my family used to take a yearly pilgrimage to Texas to visit family for the holidays. Traveling across eastern New Mexico into the panhandle of Texas my eyes would survey a set of lonely single railroad tracks. For years I searched those tracks for a train to no avail. That was until the fall of 1978 when I spotted a small mixed train lead by a couple of high nosed Geeps. The train consisted of a couple of cabooses, a flat car, tank car and two boxcars. We had just crossed over the Texas line and I was excited to see just what railroad had owned this rarely used set of tracks. As we got closer the name on the locomotives came into view, "Rock Island". Rock Island? I thought, at the time that it was some eastern railroad. Later on I would learn that The Rock was a ra...
Comments
Post a Comment