Welcome To Texas - Crossing The Burr's Ferry Bridge Into The Lone Star State


A few weeks back I took an alternate route as I traveled into eastern Texas for work. Instead of driving south out of Leesville, Louisiana I drove west on Highway 8 towards the Sabine River and Burkeville, Texas. It was a very pleasant and relaxing drive and I honestly look forward to taking this route again.

I pulled over just after I crossed into Texas to take some sunrise photos over the historic Burr's Ferry Bridge that was built way back in 1936. I love old structures like this so I couldn't resist the opportunity to get some photos of it.

I decided to try and look up the history of the bridge so that I could share it in this article. I actually couldn't find very much information about the bridge itself beyond its technical specifications but I did find a plethora of stuff about the ferry that it replaced along with the history of the surrounding area.

There is a great article about Burr's Ferry at the Toledo Bend website and I thought that it would be interesting to share some excerpts from it:

“This crossing (earlier called Hickman’s Ferry) gave pioneers the means to enter Texas with their stock, household goods, and other property. It was one of four main points of entry on Texas-Louisiana border. Besides the famous El Camino Real (King’s Highway) from Natchitoches, other entry roads were “Upper Route, from present-day Shreveport; “Lower” Route, from Opelousas; and this one, called “The Old Beef Trail” because it was used to drive thousands of cattle from Texas to Alexandria for shipment to such cities as New Orleans, as early as the 1820s and 30s.

Burr’s Ferry was a point on the Sabine River where invasion by Federal forces was expected during the Civil War. Extensive breastworks were thrown up, and these may be seen today north of Louisiana Highway 8 a short distance from the bridge. To give an unobstructed view of approaches by water, all timber was removed from the Texas bank, but it is doubtful if gun emplacements were anywhere but on the Louisiana side. A chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy at Leesville, Louisiana, has established a small park around the old fortifications where the grounds, long overgrown with pines, are protected from erosion by the trees. - READ MORE
I will have to see if I can find those old Civil War battlements the next time I travel through the area. I honestly didn't notice them on the morning that I took these photos.

It should also be noted that this location is the eastern most part of the state of Texas.

Map:


Have you ever thought about how sailors navigate treacherous waters in the darkness of night? They rely on lighthouses to guide them so they don’t crash and destroy their lives.
In our journey through life, filled with all its ups and downs, we too have a guiding light: the Bible. Written over 1,500 years by 40 authors, it remarkably paints one consistent picture: God’s unwavering love for us.

This week, consider this: What if we treated the Bible like the map apps on our phones — turning to it daily, trusting it to guide our steps, and leaning on its wisdom? As you go about your week, I challenge you to read a verse or two, reflect on its meaning, and find ways to apply it (do it) in your day.

Let’s let the Bible be our guiding light, helping us navigate the storm and sunny days alike (Psalm 1). - Pastor Steve Smothermon

Here are my photos:







 Check Out:

The Texas Traveler - Newton County Courthouse

The current Newton County Courthouse is the second courthouse built in Newton replacing one constructed in 1853 shortly after Newton became the county seat. The first county courthouse was constructed in Burkeville in 1848, two years following the establishment of Newton County on August 22, 1846. - READ MORE

The Texas Traveler - Naranjo Museum of Natural History

I have to admit that we were more than pleasantly surprised at the size and quality of the exhibits. The Naranjo Museum has everything from a full size Tyrannosaurus Rex to pieces of the ancient Roman Coliseum to items that actually traveled to the moon. For history buffs like the wife and I, we were in absolute heaven. - READ MORE

A Cross Country Odyssey - Vernon Texas

Way back in the 1970s I lived in the small town of Vernon, Texas. At that period of time Vernon was a very vibrant place with numerous stores and restaurants. The town hosted an annual rodeo called the Santa Rosa Roundup and for fun there was a miniature golf course and there was the small Plaza Theater to see a movie. - READ MORE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Louisiana - The Pirate's Cove Water Park / Resort in Iowa

Abandoned Louisiana - The Old Hightower Family Home in Dodson

The Sexy 80s: 20 Minute Workout