The Louisiana Wayback Machine - Images of Old Lecompte


 Back in February I received a USB drive from my compadre Everett Lueck of the Southern Forest Heritage Museum that contains an enormous amount of information about life in Central Louisiana in the early to mid 20th century. The files that he sent me include documents, newspaper articles, letters, a couple of videos and huge amount of vintage photographs. The bulk of the material focuses on the lumber industry and the railroads that operated in this part of the state.

Included with all of these files were a handful of images taken in Lecompte. The exact date of these images is unknown but I believe that they were taken sometime between the 1920s and 1940s. It is noted that the aerial shot of the town below was taken in 1940.

Last week I shared my earlier article about an abandoned family owned gas station in Lecompte with the Abandoned Louisiana group on Facebook that received numerous responses from present and former residents sharing their memories about life in the small central Louisiana farming town. Remembering that I had these images I thought it would be fun to post them this morning for everyone to enjoy. Hopefully these will stir up some happy memories. 








Check Out:

Abandoned Louisiana - Childhood's End - A Park With No Name in Lecompte

I can't explain why the residents of Lecompte no longer take their children to play here? It looks like it was a wonderful place back in the day. It makes me extremely sad to see a playground in a local park so empty on a day like this. Where are the children? Do they even know this park is here? - READ MORE

Louisiana Through My Lens - Night Time Shots of Lecompte (And The Winner Is...)


At the beginning of the month I spent a unusually warm Sunday evening walking around downtown taking some night time photos. I wasn't trying to take anything award winning. I was just practicing taking different shots and playing with the settings to see how they would come out. - READ MORE

Abandoned Louisiana - A Saturday Morning In Lecompte

After taking some time to reflect on the conversation I decided to grab my camera and set off to document the state of things here in Lecompte. It was an unusual Saturday morning here in Central Louisiana because it was cool and dry. Just the right weather conditions that would allow me to travel around the town and gather the images I wanted. Normally it is so hot and humid that such and outing would be a miserable experience. - READ MORE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Louisiana - The Pirate's Cove Water Park / Resort in Iowa

Abandoned Louisiana - The Old Hightower Family Home in Dodson